What makes an ad great? You want it to be attention-grabbing, unskippable, and able to drive a sale. These three intersect to produce quality content that entertains the viewer and goes viral in the process. With consumers gaining more control over what gets advertised to them, the future of marketing may depend on the virality of your campaign.
Benton Crane is the CEO of Harmon Brothers, the ad agency behind the most viral ads in internet history. They have produced advertising blockbusters for Poo~Pourri, Squatty Potty, and Purple, among others. Crane manages an incredible team that has worked on ads that have collectively driven more than one billion views, generated over $300 million in sales, and revolutionized the way products are marketed.
On this episode of the Perfectly Mentored Podcast, Benton and Jason talk about the story behind some of the most viewed online ads, why they worked really well, and what businesses should be aiming for when it comes to digital advertising.
- Who is Benton Crane? [00:18]
- What was your entrepreneurial journey like? [00:09]
- We see a lot of online advertising throwing out real-world sales tactics, what do you think about that? [04:37]
- Did you leave college and instantaneously start Harmon Brothers? [07:03]
- What’s the secret to creating viral content? [14:39]
- What can smaller businesses learn from what you do for big-budget clients and how can they apply it themselves? [21:35]
- Is there a recipe for making taboo or seemingly mundane things entertaining and fun? [27:19]
- How do you best measure results or track things? [36:43]
- What does the future of marketing look like to you? [41:18]
Connect with us:
Connect with Benton Crane
Connect with Jason Portnoy