Being an entrepreneur is not easy: there are so many specific skills you need to run a business successfully. But you’d be surprised how much of the knowledge you’ve learned elsewhere can apply in business—and how these can take you to success.
Derrick Morgan is a prime example of this. He studied Business Management at Georgia Tech and later received his MBA from the University of Miami. He was then selected by the Tennessee Titans with their first-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, where he played nine years before announcing his retirement.
Since then, he’s been giving back to his community. From impact investing to advocating for medical cannabis in the League, there’s no doubt that he has been able to use his experiences as both an athlete and a businessman to his advantage. Today, Derrick is the co-founder and managing partner of KNGDM Group. He has a genuine passion for empowering minority entrepreneurs and changing the traditional narrative of what an athlete can accomplish.
In this episode, Derrick Morgan joins us to share his inspiring career journey and some personal advice and insights you’ll find helpful, whether in business or in life.
- Derrick’s journey [1:40]
- How do you deal with the uncertainty that comes with pursuing a career with a definite end? [6:14]
- How did he adjust to the NFL knowing that it is ultimately a business? [10:28]
- How does he handle all the noise and the media? [12:56]
- Seeing the importance of financial literacy. [14:27]
- Whose responsibility is it to make sure athletes are financially literate? [15:32]
- The importance of being involved in your own finances. [19:33]
- What skills as an athlete helped him prepare for the business world? [22:47]
- How did Derrick grow his impact fund and why did he start it? [24:45]
- Do athletes have a responsibility to be role models? [30:42]
- Why was it so important that the NFL changed its stance on medical marijuana? [34:12]
Connect with us:
Connect with Derrick Morgan:
Connect with Jason Portnoy
Want to see how Jason and his team can help you grow your business? CLICK HERE
Like the episode? Watch and support us on YouTube